All purpose seasoning refers to a herb and spice blend that can be used in multiple savory applications. The common factor in different all purpose blends is their versatility.
The exact composition of all purpose seasoning varies from blend to blend and from manufacturer to manufacturer, but most will contain the same set of spices. Garlic, onion, and black pepper show up in most all purpose seasonings.
The all purpose seasoning label is typically applied to powdered spice blends like adobo seasoning, as well as to liquids like Bragg’s Liquid Aminos. Both types of seasoning are equally versatile but differ significantly in their flavor, appearance and what they bring to a dish. Adobo seasoning is a Hispanic herb and spice blend consisting of garlic powder, black pepper, and other spices that came out of the Spanish tradition of marination that they brought with them on their voyages to the New World. Bragg’s Liquid Aminos All Purpose Seasoning is a liquid protein concentrate developed by life extension specialist Paul Bragg. It is made from soybeans and contains a range of amino acids.
The term all purpose seasoning is also sometimes used interchangeably with seasoned salt. Lawry’s Seasoned Salt is often used as an all purpose seasoning, though it is not labeled as such.
All purpose seasonings have existed long before the descriptor was applied to them. Along with adobo seasoning and Lawry’s Seasoned Salt, Cajun spice and Creole spice could both be considered all purpose seasonings, as could lemon pepper seasoning and Greek seasoning. All of those blends have existed for decades.
All purpose seasoning flavor profile
The flavor profile of all purpose seasoning depends on which blend you are using since ingredients differ so dramatically depending on the exact recipe. Adobo seasoning, Lawry’s Seasoned Salt, and other blends of powdered spices are all similar in terms of the spices used in them, though the ratios of those spices can differ. In most cases, the flavor will be of salt accompanied by the savory notes of onion and garlic.
Bragg’s Liquid Aminos All Purpose Seasoning is somewhat different from other all purpose seasonings. It has a flavor and appearance similar to that of soy sauce, but without the extra salt.
Health benefits of all purpose seasoning
There are many different types of products that get labeled as all purpose seasoning and very few of them have any substantial nutritional value. In fact, the only widely available exception is Bragg’s Liquid Aminos, which provides a small amount of protein per serving. The more conventional all purpose seasoning blends offer only very small amounts of nutrients aside from salt. However, that does not mean that they are completely without health benefits. Characteristics that can make all purpose seasoning beneficial include:
- Low-salt options: Awareness of the risks that come with high salt intake has led to many low-salt or salt-free all purpose seasoning options. These options provide flavor without the significant negative impact on health.
- Low in fat: Because all purpose seasoning blends consist mostly of fat-free spices, they usually contain no fat.
- Low in carbs: The spices used in all purpose seasoning are typically carbohydrate-free in addition to being fat-free.
The benefits of these characteristics are that they can treat or prevent health conditions like:
- High blood pressure: Excessive salt consumption is one of the main factors in high blood pressure and the illnesses that it can cause. Salt-free or low-salt all purpose seasoning blends can thus help to reduce the risk of increased blood pressure.
- Obesity: The fact that all purpose seasoning can give flavor to food without increasing fat and carbs means that it can be an effective tool for limiting weight gain.
Common uses of all purpose seasoning
This spice blend is often used on meats and vegetables. It is a convenient way to add multiple pre-measured spices at the same time. Use powdered all purpose seasonings in dry rubs or sprinkle them over vegetables before roasting them. Use Bragg’s Liquid Aminos instead of soy sauce. It has the flavor of soy sauce without the addition of table salt.